Friday, August 20, 2010

Read the older/oldest posts--Follow Friday

Ok, still being new to the whole genealogy blogger thing, I'm taking time to get to know the offered routines by Geneabloggers.com.  I have something to add today.

I use Google search for my ancestors.  What I have found is that if you go through the higher number pages, you may find some obscure fact or entry for your name search.  I have had this happen several times to me.  Not sure why , but I always take time to go through the higher number pages of my Google searches.  I've found several treasures that way.

Not to long ago I searched for my G Aunt who was an ordained Methodist minister in the 1930's.  She was listed several times throughout cyberspace as well as being listed in Wikipedia for her early influence with Women in the Methodist faith.  I was able to add all this to my genealogy files for her.  So now I routinely search the names I am working on at present.

Also, remember keep a copy of what you find, because I have also lost the ability to locate some obscure pieces of information found on the internet,  as time has gone on.  Who knows where they go.  If you do find the location and the page has an error, using the cache feature with Google can at least allow you to view the information.

It does take a lot of time to read the outer listings on a Google search, but I usually get really focused on the job of finding obscurities.  This means means you probably couldn't "pull me away" if you wanted to at that time.  I love the hunt!!!  So today I recommend Google search--regularly, as entries change over time.  You never know what you might find........

2 comments:

Judy Webster said...

You can often find Web pages that no longer exist if you do a search with the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, http://www.archive.org/web/web.php.

TCasteel said...

regarding: remember to keep a copy of what you find...
It has happened to me a couple of times where I have been unable to locate something I know I originally found on the internet. I am still looking for an old class picture of a g-uncle with his trombone! Someday I hope I will use the right search criteria and stumble upon it again.