Friday, August 20, 2010

It is amazing what an old box in a closet can hold

Not too long ago I had the great fortune to be looking for some old things of mine that i knew where at my parent's house.  I found an old box that was up in a closet.  I took it down and found all kinds of treasures.  After asking my Dad about the box, he said it was some old papers and things that he had gotten from his Aunt's things many years ago.  I asked him if I could take it and go through it for family facts and information.  he said "Yes, just take care of it".  I smiled and had to laugh inside because I have taken care of all the family treasures that I have been able to get my hands on.

What a treasure chest I found.  There were wonderful photos of my ancestors that I had never seen or dreamed to see.  I even found a picture of the man who started it all for me here in the US; my GGGF.  His name is Lawrence Woodhead Nuttall.  He came to America in 1832 as a "boy" of 14 years of age.  There was actually a picture of him in that box.  One really great photo of him as an older man-very distinguished.  My heart was racing when I finally got to put a face with a name. WOW!  I still marvel at it today.  There were many other treasures from my GGM's side of the family too.  WOW again !  Finding all this really gave me a boost of energy to get going .

I also found some not so happy things in there; like a letter from my GGF about some hurtful things that he experienced at the hands of some of his siblings.  Of course that explains a lot about the distance my side of the family had with the rest of his immediate family.  Interesting to find, really.

Now I have been able to located a really old relative from the estranged part of my tree who lives fairly close to me.  I called him and he has agreed to meet with me.  It should be interesting to hear all about his stories of their part of my family tree.

You never know what you are going to find in a old box up in a shelf of a closet........

3 comments:

Becky Thompson said...

I LOVE your blog and am happy that you got your hands on that old box from the closet. I know the joy of finally putting a face to a name too! Thanks for sharing that experience!

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I hope we can see that photo of Lawrence Woodhead Nuttall very soon! Have you figured out how to post photographs yet?

Les said...

Welcome to the blogging community. I hope you find names for those "Strangers in the Box".