Thursday, February 3, 2011

African-American genealogy research.

Having researched through MANY Louisiana documents: some in English, some French, and some Spanish; I can only imagine how hard it is for those who research individuals who were slaves in this state.  I have personally read through many records and "slave holdings" records.  Most are single names and age.  Then there are also records of sale of "property" and successions where "property" was handed down through families.  Each time I have feelings of sadness about what these innocent people had to have endured being captive in a brutal life. 

I salute anyone who is able to piece all these tidbits together.  I do understand how important it is to us all that we find our lineage and somehow understand more about our ancestors lives.  Even though I struggle to push through my own genealogy brick walls, I am in awe of anyone who has the determination and can piece together their ancestry using slave records.

I SALUTE YOU!!!!!!

No comments: